Phở is a famous Vietnamese noodle soup that is enjoyed all around the world. It’s a hearty, flavorful dish that can be customized with a variety of meats and toppings. One popular variation of phở is made with rare beef, brisket, and tripe. Here is a recipe to make this delicious phở at home.
- 1kg beef bones
- 500g beef brisket
- 500g beef tripe
- 500g beef sirloin
- 2 onions
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Fish sauce and soy sauce to taste
- Rice noodles
- Bean sprouts
- Basil leaves
- Lime wedges
- Chili sauce and hoisin sauce for serving
- Preheat your oven to 230°C. Roast the beef bones for about 20 minutes until they are browned.
- In a large pot, add the roasted beef bones, beef brisket, and beef tripe. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, then discard the water and rinse the bones and meat.
- Add the bones and meat back to the pot and fill with fresh water. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, coriander seeds, and fennel seeds.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2-3 hours.
- Remove the beef brisket and tripe from the pot and set aside.
- Slice the beef sirloin thinly and set aside.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids.
- Season the broth with salt, sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce to taste.
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling water until they are soft, then drain and rinse under cold water.
- To serve, divide the noodles between bowls and top with the rare beef slices, beef brisket, and tripe. Ladle the broth over everything, then garnish with bean sprouts, basil leaves, lime wedges, chili sauce, and hoisin sauce.
Enjoy your delicious rare beef, brisket, and tripe phở!