Take your taste buds on a journey with this Well-Done Brisket Pho recipe. The rich broth, tender well-done brisket, and the aromatic blend of spices make this Vietnamese classic a comforting and satisfying dish. Learn how to create your own bowl of flavorful Pho right in your kitchen.
For the Broth:
- 1 large onion, halved and unpeeled
- 1 4-inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 4-5 lbs beef bones (knuckle and marrow bones work well)
- 1 lb well-done brisket
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- Rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh basil leaves
- Lime wedges
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Red chili slices (optional)
- Hoisin sauce and Sriracha on the side
1. Prepare the Broth:
- Char the onion and ginger over an open flame or in the oven until they develop a deep color.
- Rinse the beef bones under hot water.
- In a large stockpot, add the bones, brisket, charred onion, ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cardamom, salt, sugar, and fish sauce.
- Cover with water (about 4 quarts) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let it simmer uncovered for at least 1.5 to 2 hours.
2. Cook the Brisket:
- After about 30 minutes of simmering, remove the brisket and let it cool slightly. Slice it thinly against the grain.
3. Strain the Broth:
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding solids. Skim off excess fat.
4. Assemble the Pho Bowls:
- Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Divide the cooked noodles among serving bowls.
- Top with slices of well-done brisket.
5. Pour Hot Broth:
- Bring the broth to a simmer. Pour the hot broth over the noodles and brisket in each bowl.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- Serve the bowls with bean sprouts, fresh basil leaves, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and red chili slices if desired.
- Provide hoisin sauce and Sriracha on the side for individual seasoning.
Conclusion: Savor the rich and aromatic flavors of Well-Done Brisket Pho with this homemade recipe. The combination of well-cooked brisket, fragrant broth, and fresh garnishes makes this dish a comforting and satisfying meal. Enjoy the warmth and depth of flavors that Pho brings, right from your own kitchen.