For the Broth:
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods
- 1 small piece ginger, sliced
- Salt and sugar to taste
For the Soup:
- Flat rice noodles, soaked and cooked according to package instructions
- Assorted vegetables (bok choy, baby corn, mushrooms, carrots, etc.)
- Tofu or tofu puffs, sliced
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh herbs (Thai basil, cilantro, mint)
- Lime wedges
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha sauce
- Sliced chili peppers
- Sliced green onions
- In a large pot, add the vegetable broth and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the halved onion, crushed garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, and ginger to the broth. Let it simmer gently for about 30-45 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into another pot. Discard the aromatics.
- Season the broth with salt and sugar to taste. Keep the broth warm on low heat.
- Prepare the assorted vegetables by washing, peeling, and slicing them as needed.
- In a separate pot of boiling water, blanch the vegetables briefly until they are slightly tender. Remove and set aside.
- To assemble the pho bowls, place a serving of cooked rice noodles in each bowl.
- Arrange the blanched vegetables and sliced tofu or tofu puffs on top of the noodles.
- Ladle the hot vegetable broth over the noodles and vegetables, ensuring they are fully submerged.
- Serve the pho bowls with a plate of fresh herbs, bean sprouts, lime wedges, and any additional condiments you prefer.
- Diners can customize their bowls by adding herbs, bean sprouts, lime juice, hoisin sauce, and sriracha sauce according to their taste.
- Enjoy the delicious and comforting “Vegetable Pho”!
Feel free to adjust the ingredients and quantities to your preferences. Enjoy your homemade Vegetable Pho!