Spicy shrimp vermicelli, also known as “Bún Thịt Cay Tôm” in Vietnamese, is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines tender vermicelli noodles, marinated grilled shrimp, and a spicy sauce. This popular Vietnamese dish is packed with bold flavors and is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make spicy shrimp vermicelli.
For the marinated shrimp:
- 1 pound (450g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
For the spicy sauce:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
For the vermicelli bowl:
- 8 ounces (225g) vermicelli noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Lettuce or mixed greens
- Bean sprouts
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, Thai basil)
- Crushed peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, vegetable oil, sugar, and chili flakes to make the marinade for the shrimp.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to the marinade and mix well. Allow the shrimp to marinate for at least 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the marinated shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn pink and slightly charred. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, lime juice, sugar, and water to make the spicy sauce. Adjust the amount of sriracha sauce according to your desired level of spiciness.
- Assemble the vermicelli bowls by dividing the cooked vermicelli noodles among serving bowls. Top with lettuce or mixed greens, bean sprouts, cucumber slices, fresh herbs, and the grilled shrimp.
- Drizzle the spicy sauce over the vermicelli bowls, or you can serve it on the side for individual customization.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts (if desired) and serve with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the dish.
- Toss the ingredients together before eating to combine all the flavors and enjoy the spicy shrimp vermicelli.
Note: You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less chili flakes and sriracha sauce to the marinade and the spicy sauce.
Spicy shrimp vermicelli is a satisfying and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch or dinner. The combination of tender shrimp, aromatic herbs, and spicy sauce creates a delightful taste experience. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the bold flavors of Vietnamese cuisine in your own home!